We just got back from Alabama from visiting my grandparents, Oma and Opa. We haven't seen them in a while and Oma is not doing so well. The past few weeks we have been getting updates from my Aunt Lynn and each time she talked to my mom she said things were getting worse. Needless to say, I wanted to see them, but I was really nervous and anxious about what to expect. Oma has what they think is the beginning stages of dementia.
When we got to Alabama...my aunt Lynn informed us that Oma was doing so much better. She told us that she just knew we were going to say that she was lying. On Sunday morning we went to their house and saw Opa for a little bit and then we went up to the hospital. Oma looked great (as great as you can look laying in a hospital bed). She knew who we all were and was even cracking jokes. It was so good to see her and she was SOOO excited to see Cade and Addi. She couldn't get over her bow! We took a few pictures and visited for a while. I finally got to get my four generations picture!! Overall it was a great visit. They ended up moving her from the hospital to a rehabilitation place. Oma needs to work on getting her strength back so that she can walk again and then go home. This is going to be tough for her, but she really needs to do it so that she can be where she wants to be--at home, in her chair, watching the birds in her backyard.
 |
| Four Generations |
 |
| Oma wanted to hold Addi on the way down to the car |
 |
| Opa and his buddy |
 |
| I absolutely love this picture! |
We also got to see my cousin Kenny and his girlfriend. He is such a kid at heart, let's just say that Cade had a ball with him! It was great!
I have to say it was an emotional trip...both good and bad. Of course it was hard to see my Oma in that condition, but it was so nice to just sit and talk with her like old times (we used to take a trip to Starbucks, just her and I, when she would come to visit, and talk). I think the hardest thing for me was watching my Opa with her. I can't explain how strong his love is for her! You could just look at the two of them and see it. It was hard because I know that he knows that his time with her is slowly coming to an end. He is being so strong for Oma, his kids, and his grand kids. They have been married for 57 years and have never left each other's side. I can only hope that one day people look at Darrell and I and see what I see with the two of them.
 |
| Me and my Opa |