Saturday, November 5, 2011

What's Next

I wanted to keep all of our family and friends updated with Addi.  After Cade passed away, our next step was take Addi to Texas Children's to get her heart checked.  At the beginning of June we took her to TCH and had an echo and ECG done.  The tests came back showing that she had hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) with restrictive physiology.  The HCM means that she has a little thickening of her heart and the restrictive physiology means that her heart never rests.  Because of the restrictive physiology we were told that she would need to have a heart transplant.  The problem would lead to high pressures in her lungs and then we would be in a situation where she would need a heart and lung transplant.

Darrell and I have talked to several doctors and we truly feel good about what lies ahead.  The truth of the matter is, we don't have another choice either.  The odds are REALLY good with the heart transplant.  One of the surgeons told us that 95 out of 100 children do "remarkably" well.  We have prayed a lot about this and we believe that Cade is saving his little sister's life. 

Where we are now--yesterday Addi's case went to the medical board for approval (we should be approved) and then it will go to our insurance.  Once the insurance clears it she will officially be put on the heart transplant list.  Then we wait for the call.

Addi is amazing!  You would never know that she needs a new heart.  She acts, plays, talks, and carries on like a "normal" 17 month old and we are so blessed for that. 

I am going to try really hard to keep this blog updated with what we're doing and especially when it is time for transplant.  That way all of y'all can be informed with what is going on and how she is doing.  I have actually been following two blogs of families whose little girls have just gone through a heart transplant.  I loved the idea of keeping people informed this way.  I find myself checking their blog every day awaiting for news.  Both of them have been doing really well.

I know so many of y'all have had us in your thoughts and prayers and I just ask that you continue to pray for Addi.  God is in control and I know that he has great things in store for us.  Thank you so much for your love and support.  Please feel free to send our blog address to anyone who you feel would like to know what's going on with us!

In October Addi had a heart cath done to check the pressures in her lungs to see where they were at.  At that time, her pressures were normal (YEAH!).  Here are a few pics of her at the hospital while they were monitoring her.

Taking a quick nap with Mr. G.  We don't go anywhere without him!!

Up from her nap eating a little snack.

1 comment:

  1. We will most definitely keep little Addi and y'all in our prayers. Love y'all, Jess

    ReplyDelete